Artists are challenged to create their interpretation of the earth’s most valuable element that is fundamental to all life. H2O combines to make the earth’s valuable liquid that is integral to sustenance, solubility, bathing, power, agriculture, industry, recreation, transportation and more. Liquid, gas, or solid, which form of H2O inspires you most?
One entry per Wisconsin artist is to be submitted online at cedarburgartmuseum.org/CallForArt in the month of March 2024. Approximately 55-60 artworks can be accepted for the gallery spaces on the museum’s second floor.
- All fine art must be original and not previously publicly displayed within a 60-mile radius of Cedarburg. Most any 2-D or 3-D medium is acceptable; however, CAM cannot accept video entries.
- At the time of online entry, artists will submit a digital image of their artwork with a brief statement, 75 words or less.
- Framed/finished artwork is to be no larger than 24 inches in any dimension.
- Accepted 2-D works must be presented ready for installation with painted or framed edges and fitted with hanging wire or D-rings. Sawtooth hangers are not acceptable. Accepted 3-D work must stand on its own if not mounted to a base.
- Artists have the option to sell exhibited work during the exhibition. CAM retains a 35% commission.
Open to Wisconsin artists 18 years and older who create works of original concept, design, and execution.
$1,000 in awards will be given to Best of Show, Second and Third place, and three Honorable Mentions. The juror will use criteria of Fitting to Theme, Originality, and Expertise with Medium for entries.
Juror: Our 2024 juror is Christine Buth-Furness. Christine is a working, professional artist who divides her time between two studios, the main studio in the land of great freshwater wealth in southeastern Wisconsin, and the other, inhabited during the winter months, is in northern California next to an oak forest at the base of Hood Mountain in the Sonoma Valley. She makes art on paper, painting and drawing images that suggest a human presence in an environment or an absence of one and evoke an emotional response.
Christine is a retired emeritus from the University of Wisconsin with a M.F.A. from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and B.F.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Having exhibited nationally and internationally throughout her career, her leadership and curatorial experiences include BOD service with Wisconsin Visual Artists and the Watercolor USA Honor Society. She is also a Wisconsin Academy awarded artist.
March 1 – March 31, 2024: Preferred online application submission is at cedarburgartmuseum.org/CallForArt. March 31 is the final date for receiving submissions. A maximum of 100 artist applications will be processed.
- Nonrefundable online entry fee is $25 per artwork. Limit is one artwork entry per artist.
- With entry fee, submit digital image of original artwork and brief artist statement (75 words or less) with each online entry.
Alternative, email entry:
- Contact email@example.com with subject “The Life of Water.”
- Entry fee is $30 per artwork.
April 22, 2024: Artists will be notified by email of Jurors’ decision. If you have not received an acknowledgment by this date, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artwork Delivery Dates
- Thursday, May 16, 2024 (12 – 4pm)
- Saturday, May 18, 2024 (9am – 12pm
Artwork is to be delivered at the specified times. If artwork is shipped to the museum, it must arrive no later than May 17, with a prepaid return shipping label for FedEx or UPS provided. FedEx and UPS provide the best insurance for artwork.
Exhibition Reception (Indoors & Outdoors, pending weather)
- Saturday, June 1, 2024 (2 – 4pm)
- Awards for Artists distributed during the reception
Artwork Pickup Dates:
- Sunday, September 22, 2024 (4 – 5:30pm)
- Monday, September 23, 2024 (9am – 3pm)